Almond Cake Layers
- 2 1/2 cups (325g) all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (168g) unsalted Challenge Butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups (362g) sugar
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp (270ml) milk, room temperature
- 1 tbsp almond extract
Almond Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- 20 oz (565g) Challenge Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups (480ml) heavy whipping cream, cold
- 1 1/2 cups (173g) powdered sugar
- 4 tsp almond extract
- Sliced almonds, crushed
Make the cakes:
- Prepare three 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper circles in the bottom and grease the sides. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) .
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, vegetable oil and sugar together until light in color and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Do not skimp on the creaming time.
- Add egg whites in three batches, mixing until well combined after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until well combined. Add the milk and almond extract and mix until well combined. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cakes pans and bake for about 20-23 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool for about 2-3 minutes, then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
Make the frosting:
- To make the whipped cream cheese frosting, add the cream cheese to a large mixer bowl and beat until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Add the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and almond extract to another large mixing bowl and whip on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Add about 1/3 of the whipped cream to the cream cheese and gently fold together to combine so that you don’t deflate the whipped cream. When mostly combined, add another third of the whipped cream and gently fold together, then add the final third and gently fold together until completely combined. Set aside.
Build the cake:
- Use a large serrated knife to remove the domes from the top of the cakes so that they’re flat, if needed.
- Place the first cake on a serving plate or a cardboard cake round. Spread about 1 cup of frosting evenly on top of the cake. Add the second layer of cake and another cup of frosting. Top the cake with the remaining layer.
- Frost the outside of the cake. Refer to my tutorial for frosting a smooth cake, if needed.
Press sliced almond into the sides of the cake, then pipe shells of frosting around the top edge of the cake.
- Store cake in an air tight container in the fridge. Cake is best if eaten within 2-3 days.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 552
- Sugar: 40.9 g
- Sodium: 249.1 mg
- Fat: 32.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 59.3 g
- Protein: 7.5 g
- Cholesterol: 86.8 mg
Keywords: almond cream cake