Moist and fluffy chocolate cake is layered up with creamy chocolate frosting in this super easy 6 Inch Cake! It may be half the size of your average cake, but it’s guaranteed to make every chocolate lover fall head over heels in love.
For the Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup (130g) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (207g) sugar
- 6 tbsp (43g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup (120ml) hot water
For the Chocolate Buttercream
- 1 1/2 cups (336g) butter, room temperature
- 5 cups (575g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (57g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2–3 tbsp (60-75ml) cream
Make the Cake Layers
- Prepare three 6-inch cake pans with parchment paper circles in the bottom, and grease the sides.
- Preheat oven to 300°F (148°C).
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together.
- Add egg, milk and vegetable oil to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add vanilla to hot water and add to mixture. Mix well.
- Divide batter evenly between cakes pans and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
- Remove cakes from oven and allow to cool for about 3-5 minutes, then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
Make the Frosting
- When the cake layers are cool, make the buttercream. Add the butter to a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Add half of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract, cocoa and 2 tablespoons of cream or water and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add additional cream or water as needed to get the right consistency.
Build the Cake
- Use a large serrated knife to remove the domes from the top of the cakes so that they’re flat. These cakes don’t have a large dome, but I like to make sure they’re completely flat.
- Place the first cake on a serving plate or a cardboard cake round.
- Spread about 1/2 a cup of frosting evenly on top of the cake.
- Add the second layer of cake and another half cup of frosting.
- Top the cake with the remaining layer and frost the outside of the cake. Refer to my tutorial for frosting a smooth cake, if needed.
- Press sprinkles into the sides of the cake. Pipe a shell border around the top edge and bottom of the cake. I used Ateco tip 847.
- Makes 6-8 servings.
- To Store: Store in an airtight container. Cake is best if eaten within 3-4 days.
- To Freeze: To freeze unfrosted layers, wrap each one in two layers of plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge before building cake. To freeze frosted cake, place on a baking sheet and freeze whole thing or individual slices for 1-2 hours, or until icing is hard. Once frosting is hard, wrap cake in two layers of plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months. Unwrap and thaw in the fridge before enjoying.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 912
- Sugar: 99.5 g
- Sodium: 327.8 mg
- Fat: 50.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 118.2 g
- Protein: 5.1 g
- Cholesterol: 117.2 mg
Keywords: chocolate cake frosting, layered chocolate cake, homemade chocolate frosting