Comfort food anyone? The shepherd’s pie is made of perfectly seasoned ground beef, peas, and carrots topped with creamy mashed potatoes, sprinkled with cheddar cheese, and baked to golden and bubbly.
- 3 1/2 cups of my mashed potatoes (Make the whole recipe and use half – about 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (about half a medium-sized onion)
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Make half a batch of my homemade mashed potatoes to get 3 1/2 cups. Set potatoes aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add the oil to a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef to the pan and break it apart. Add the onions, parsley, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper and stir well. Cook for 6-8 minutes, or until the meat is browned. Drain the grease.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add the flour and tomato paste and stir until well combined and no clumps of tomato paste remain.
- Add the beef broth and frozen peas and carrots. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Simmer for 3-5 minutes, or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the meat mixture into a 9×9 or 11×7 baking dish and spread evenly. Add the mashed potatoes to the top of the meat and spread evenly. Use a fork to “rake” lines into the mashed potatoes. Sprinkle the top of the casserole with the cheddar cheese, if using.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the broiler to high. Broil for about 5 minutes or until the potatoes and cheese are lightly browned on top. Keep a close eye on it, it can burn quickly.
- Remove from heat and serve warm.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 360
- Sugar: 5.3 g
- Sodium: 836 mg
- Fat: 17.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.1 g
- Protein: 23.5 g
- Cholesterol: 73.5 mg
Keywords: shepherd's pie, shepard's pie, cottage pie, homemade cottage pie