Bake according to instructions on box. Make 2 layers of cake either 8 or 9 inches.
1. Mix cake mix and 6 tbsp of milk together. It will be thick.
2. Mix the cream cheese, milk, cake mix mixture and sugar together with an electric mixer. Mix until smooth.
3. Gently fold in Cool Whip.
1. Beat butter and shortening until smooth.
2. Slowly add 2 cups of powdered sugar.
3. Add vanilla extract and mix.
4. Add a tablespoon of water or milk and combine.
5. Add other 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat to combine.
6. Add more water until desired consistency is reached.
TO ASSEMBLE THE CAKE:
1. Use the same size pan that was used to make the funfetti cake. Put parchment paper in the bottom of the pan and around the sides. This will keep the cake from sticking to sides and allow you to be able to remove it when done. You could also use a springform pan.
2. Put one layer of the funfetti cake into the bottom of your pan.
3. Add a filling layer of rainbow chip icing.
4. Add the ice cream. It’s best to make the ice cream right before you put the cake together so that it’s still soft and spreadable.
5. Add another filling layer of rainbow chip icing.
6. Add second layer of funfetti cake.
7. Freeze for several hours, until hard.
8. Add a layer of rainbow chip icing to the top of the cake.
9. Ice the sides of the cake with either American buttercream (as I did), whipped cream (for something lighter) or more rainbow chip icing.