Berry Custard Trifles in a Jar are super easy to make & so cute! They’re a great light treat for warmer months. Trifles recipes are perfect for summer!
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (104g) sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240ml) heavy whipping cream, cold
- 1/2 cup (58g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
- two 5.3 oz packages Walkers Shortbread fingers
- 6 oz blueberries
- 8 oz strawberries, chopped
1. To make the custard, put the egg yolks in a medium sized bowl and gently beat them together. Set aside.
2. Add the sugar, cornstarch and milk to a large saucepan and mix until smooth.
3. Cook, stirring continuously, over medium-high heat until mixture begins to thicken and bubble.
4. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Add a little bit of the milk mixture to the egg yolks and whisk together, then add egg mixture to milk mixture. This process ensures that you don’t cook the egg yolks.
6. Place the pan back on the heat and bring to a light boil. Allow to boil for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
7. Remove from heat and add the butter and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth, then set aside to cool to room temperature.
8. To make the whipped cream, add the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract to a large mixer bowl and whip on high speed until stiff peaks form.
9. To build the trifles, put the additional milk into a small bowl. Break a shortbread finger cookie into 4 pieces and dip them into the milk for 2-3 seconds.
10. Place the pieces into the bottom of each of the 4 mini jars.
11. Top the shortbread with a layer of the custard.
12. Add a layer of blueberries and strawberries.
13. Next, pipe a layer of whipped cream.
14. Repeat another layer of shortbread, custard and berries.
15. Finish of the trifles with a swirl of whipped cream, a piece of shortbread and a couple berries. Refrigerate trifles for 3-4 hours before serving, so the cookies have a chance to soften up.
Keywords: trifle recipes, trifle in a jar, jar dessert, dessert in a jar, strawberry desserts, blueberry desserts, summer desserts, patriotic desserts