These Peppermint Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies are soft, chewy chocolate cookies topped with peppermint Hershey kisses!
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
2. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
3. Cream butter and sugars (minus the 3 tablespoons of sugar for rolling) together until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
4. Mix in egg and vanilla extract.
5. Add the dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated and thick.
6. Roll into balls of cookie dough about one heaping tablespoons in size.
7. Put the 3 tablespoons of sugar into a small bowl and roll each ball of cookie dough in it, coating the ball fully.
8. Place the cookie dough balls on the lined cookie sheet and use a wooden spoon or a small measuring spoon to press an indention into the cookie.
9. Bake the cookies for 6-7 minutes.
10. Remove the cookies from oven and add an unwrapped hershey kiss to the top of each one. Allow cookies to cool for 2-3 minutes, the remove to cooling rack to cool completely.
The cookie dough can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Keywords: peppermint chocolate thumbprint cookies, chocolate thumbprint cookies, christmas cookies