December 6, 2012
Ultimate Gingerbread Krispie Bars
Oh my goodness, these are dangerous. Run! As fast as you can! To the store! You need to make these. All the gingerbread greatness is intoxicating! A layer of gingerbread oreo truffle on the bottom, a layer of gingerbread rice krispies in the middle, topped off with gingerbread buttercream then sprinkled with white chocolate, butterscotch and cinnamon chips.
Oh and by the way – cinnamon chips? Yes. Cinnamon chips! Who knew such awesomeness existed! I think they are new and they are at Walmart (as are the other gingerbread flavored ingredients in these). They are awesome. When I saw them, I immediately wanted to try them. I love cinnamon, but wasn’t sure how I’d like an all cinnamon chip. I got in the car to drive home after buying them and couldn’t take the suspense. It was less than a minute before they were open.
To be honest, I was afraid when I first smelled them. It reminded me of hot tamales. I got nervous. Spicy hot wouldn’t go well with my gingerbread plans. Fortunately, they don’t taste like hot tamales. At least not really. I’m not sure if I feel like I tasted hot tamaleyness because of the smell or if there really is a slight hot taste to them. But either way, they are tasty. And they joined the chips on top of my bars.
But this isn’t about cinnamon chips. Or is it?
Check Out My Other Recipes
No, it’s about gingerbread. And it is plentiful in these bars. There is no doubt in my mind that if you like gingerbread, you will love these. The combo of the softer truffle and icing with the crunch of the krispies is heaven in a dish.
So go and make them. You can thank me later. 😉
Ultimate Gingerbread Krispie Bars
Gingerbread Oreo truffle layer
25 Gingerbread Oreos, crushed
6 tbsp cream cheese
Gingerbread Rice krispies layer
2 tbsp butter
3/4 bag of gingerbread marshmallows
4 cups rice krispies
Gingerbread Buttercream layer
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3-4 tbsp water
1 package Duncan Hines Flavor Creations Gingerbread flavor mix
White chocolate chips
NOTE: Instead of making buttercream from scratch, you could just use the canned icing that comes with the Flavor Creations packets. I have not tried those, so I'm not sure if the flavor and consistency is really the same, but I imagine the flavor would be similar. However, I like the way my buttercream crusts, especially for a bar like this one.
1. Crush gingerbread oreos in a medium sized bowl.
2. Add cream cheese and mix thoroughly.
3. Spread oreo mixture into the bottom of a 9x12 casserole dish.
4. Mix butter and shortening for the gingerbread buttercream in the bowl of a mixer.
5. Mix in half of the powdered sugar.
6. Add vanilla extract and 2 tbsp water and mix well.
7. Add package of gingerbread flavor mix and mix well.
8. Mix in other half of powdered sugar, adding water as needed to get the right consistency.
9. Spread a thin layer of gingerbread buttercream on top of the oreo truffles. This will help the rice krispies to stick.
10. Melt butter for rice krispies in a large pot.
11. Add marshmallows and melt.
12. Add rice krispies and mix well. Spread rice krispies evenly on top of oreo truffle bottom and buttercream layers. Don't press them down too much, or the rice krispie layer will be hard.
13. Once cooled, spread remaining gingerbread icing over top of rice krispies.
14. Top with assorted chips and sprinkles.