July 31, 2012
My Love Affair with Cheesecake
I have a bit of a thing for cheesecake. And I’m very particular about the texture of it. I like it thick and creamy. In fact, I don’t even order cheesecake at most restaurants because I’m afraid it just won’t be right. And if something isn’t right, why waste the calories?
Growing up, I always got a hard time from my family. They found it fascinating how I’d eat cheesecake. Every bite had to have crust. And before I moved onto the next bite, I made sure there were no remnants of the previous one left on the plate. When I was done, you wouldn’t even know the plate ever had food on it. It was wiped clean. No joke.
Can you tell I’m a little OCD at times?
And this vanilla cheesecake is definitely awesome. The flavor and texture are just right. It’s quick, easy and delicious! And you cook it right in the oven without a water bath.
It’s perfect for taking a fork and just digging in while nobody’s looking. If nobody’s looking then the calories don’t count, right? RIGHT?!?
Few! That’s what I thought.
So here’s the recipe!
1 1/4 cups nilla wafers
5 tbsp butter
5 tbsp sugar
3 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp all purpose flour
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, combine crust ingredients and mix well. Remove any large pieces of nilla wafer. They will make it hard to press crust into pan.
3. Press mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
4. Bake crust for 10 minutes then remove and set aside.
1. Reduce oven to 300 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, blend the cream cheese, sugar and flour with an electric mixer (Use low speed to keep less air from getting into the batter, which can cause cracks).
3. Add the sour cream, eggs and vanilla extract. Beat until well combined.
4. Pour the filling into the pan with the crust. Drop onto the counter a few times to release any air bubbles.
5. Bake for 1 hour. Turn off heat and leave in oven with door closed for 30 minutes or until set.
6. Remove from oven and chill.